, ,


We arrived at Williston Vermont at approximately 4:00 PM.

Right on time.

My husband Frank had made this journey many times.

To help keep my mind occupied I began knitting a pair socks with some lovely white sparkly yarn accented by random pops of colour that my daughter had procured for me.

To me knitting was calming, gratifying and cleansing.

Over a month later, I have yet to finish them

The last leg of the journey consisted of a wonderful half hour ferryboat ride. I always look forward to this part the most.

After the ferry crossing our first stop was at a Williston drugstore across the road from my mother’s apartment building.

I had asked Frank to stop there because my stomach had suddenly turned queasy.

This was no time for nausea.

On the druggists advice I purchased a box of chewy cherry tablets guaranteed to work in four minutes. I bought a box of 50.

It was going to be an emotional week.

We met up with mother’s good friend from a meeting that had been prearranged.

We found her waiting for us outside of my mother’s building. I felt an immediate sense of gratitude for all she had done which I carry with me to this day.

And above all she had been mothers trusted good friend.

I had met her once before and found her to be very pleasant. After speaking for a few minutes she then handed me a list of to-dos that she had prepared for me.

She had taken the time to write down a list of things I need to do.

And thank goodness that she did. I would have felt quite lost without that list.

The truth was that I had no idea what to do.

At least now I had something I could focus on that would help me feel useful.

The list itself was simple enough.

Among what had been listed there was laundry which had to be done, other items included bringing some clean nightgowns and housecoats for Mother. The last instruction was for me to make sure that mother kept her respirator on at all times

I could see how that could become a problem. If Mother didn’t want to wear a respirator, Mother was not going to wear a respirator.

End of story.

Before leaving us she handed me the keys to my Mother’s apartment as well as the car’s.

Both Frank and myself felt the keys a true Godsend. At least I had Mother’s apartment to use while in Vermont and the use of your car as well. I did not have to worry about the expense of a hotel or renting an automobile.

And there was still more good fortune to be had!

Thank goodness the Respite House was only down the street from where Mother lived. Having no sense of direction it would’ve been another worry for me to have to travel across town twice a day.

The fact that everything was falling so neatly into place was only further proof to me that someone upstairs was keeping a watchful eye out for us.